In pursuit of its objectives, OISTE works on two fields:
- The social and political dimension of digital identity management;
- The technical, economic and legal aspects of identity management technologies based on cryptography.
On the social and political dimension of digital identity management, OISTE focuses on:
- Creating public awareness about the risks and opportunities of the digital age, in particular those related to digital identity management and the creation of a trust ecosystem in the Internet;
- Educating Internet users about the solutions to digital identity management available in the market, its strengths and weaknesses;
- Advocating for the developments of mechanisms of participation that allow cybercitizens to influence public policies dealing with cyber security;
- Advocating for the adoption of technologies of digital identity management that are respectful of the public interest;
- Advocating for the protection of privacy rights online;
On the technical, economic and legal aspects linked to cryptographic solutions to digital identity management, OISTE
- Serves as a platform for discussion, debate and action on issues related to International Secure Electronic Transactions;
- Cooperates in the determination of international standards for e-commerce, e-government and digital certification, applicable to e-services in general, based on Global Public Key Infrastructures (PKI);
- Acts as a ROOT Certification Authority (CA) for developed and developing countries, including the establishment of a secure Internet;
- Offers a coordinating role for the establishment of a global information infrastructure among international organizations, government and private sector organizations involving information infrastructure development and applications.
In order to implement its objectives, the Foundation shall:
- Cooperate with international organizations, governments, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector in relation to projects involving Public Key Infrastructures ;
- Promote multi-stakeholder investments in order to expand the reach of Public Key Infrastructures worldwide;
- Coordinate the expansion of Public Key Infrastructures worldwide and its use as an enabling medium for business or governmental activity;
- Promote projects and programs utilizing the Internet and information technology applications in support of key areas such as health care, education, environment, technology, know-how transfer and poverty alleviation;
- Provide financial, technical and legal advice for private sector ventures and community projects in developing countries in order to help governments create conditions that stimulate the flow of both domestic and foreign private savings and investments for a global public key infrastructure based on a Common Shared Global ROOT;
- Facilitate and coordinate the development, deployment, operation and technology transfer of advanced network-based applications to accelerate the availability of new services and applications on the Global PKI Infrastructure;
- Be authorized to make investments in the form of the purchase of property, including intellectual property and the provision of venture capital to companies or entities conducting activities related to the Foundation’s objects.